Previously, the main purpose of this website was to advocate for changes to make the garden a better place. The challenge with the city over the Water Wars turned our mission to advocacy for regular water. Without water gardening was impossible. We also advocated for the need to have more autonomy over garden decisions.
Some of these issues were addressed with the closing of the gardens for the installing the new irrigation system.
The other issue was the questionable management of the gardens by the haphazard garden leadership. To help with this, two non-profits were brought in by the city to help – From Lott To Spot, and LA Community Garden Council. For a fee, they are assisting us with the administration of the garden, including dues, payments, improvements, and leadership.
Our New Focus Going Forward
Moving forward advocacy will still be in the fore-front of our mission, but we realize the important of having an Oversight function as well. Since there are some many parties now involved in the decision-making process it is vital to ensure the leadership is held responsible for their decisions and make ensure that they represent the gardeners.
The Start of an Oversight Board
We will now also function as an Oversight Board to ensure not only the garden leadership is held to account, but also, the other parties involved including, and not limited to LA Community Garden Council, the City, the Major’s office, LA Sanitation, et al. With out proper follow up it is very easy for commitments to fall through the cracks. The start of an Oversight Board will make sure the rules and regulations are being fairly and consistently being applied. Everyone will be able to bring their issues to this website and discuss any violations, inconsistencies and other inequitable issues that will arise in the future. This site will serve as an independent and anonymous way to bring issues to the fore-front so they can be addressed.
To Join the Oversight and Advocacy Board
- Cannot hold a current leadership position in the San Pedro Community Garden or any parties involved in the administration of the gardens.
- You can be a member of the San Pedro Community Gardens or have experience with other community gardens
- Be in good standing with the San Pedro Community Gardens
- Want to learn and improve the community
- Represent people to might not be able to advocate for themselves
- Be able to take a stand against injustice
- Be a role model for others to look up to
- Volunteer a few hours a week
- Access to a computer and work with Google docs or other collaboration system online
Join the Board by emailing your interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Report Issues about the Gardens
If you have an issue, please bring it up. If this has happened to you, then prevent it from happening again – do not remain silent.
You can remain anonymous if you like. Please report any issue you think should be addressed here: email@example.com